If Gentoo can die off, ReiserFS is doomed (was Re: Reiser FS or ext3?)

Monty J. Harder mjharder at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 21:27:53 CDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 1:52 PM, David Nicol <davidnicol at gmail.com> wrote:

> Absolutely not.  I would be highly suspicious of using any such drive
> for my hypothetical criminal activity, as a drive marketed as having
> SD features might /really/ have some kind of covert channel
> phone-home-to-Echelon feature allowing the spooks to 0wn the box
> remotely.  Perhaps interfacing with the pc-speaker-as-microphone
> feature.

Well, I wasn't making recommendations for criminal activity, but for
protection against inadvertently disclosing sensitive material.  In the
real-world example I cited, it was a doctor that retired.  Although HIPAA
had not fully come into effect yet, he was rightly concerned about
protecting confidential information entrusted to him by his patients.  I can
confidently say we fufilled his ethical and legal obligations.

If you're concerned about keeping your data safe from any government,
particularly those of the United States, China, Russia, Israel, or an EU
member, you need to take additional precautions, such as the use of
full-drive encryption (TrueCrypt) and an open-source operating system that
has enough eyeballs on it that there is little chance of a backdoor being
slipped in somewhere.  And then when you're done with the drive,
electronically wipe it as I've described, drill a hole in it, smash it with
a sledge hammer, and cast the parts into an active volcano like Mount Doom.