SecondLife: OSS MMOW company, now with a Linux port of its "viewer" software.

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 30 10:31:48 CDT 2008

--- On Tue, 9/30/08, Geoffrion, Ron P [IT] <Ron.Geoffrion at sprint.com> wrote:

> >> Makes me wonder if ITEC has wireless Internet on
> >> the Exhibitor floor...
>
> I have a Sprint aircard (on a windows laptop).  In theory,
> it can be setup on linux (ubuntu).  The connection would be
> reasonable, but choppy. Better than a modem, less than dsl.

Well, it would certainly work for showing people whats out there on the Internet for Linux, but "Second Life", like any MMOW, does require a steady broadband connection to look nice.  On a choppy connection people would look at the shoddy quality of "Second Life" on the Linux demo PC, and assume that Linux was the problem, not the bad connection.

I vaguely recall there being a few wireless networks accessible from the Exhibitor hall.  I also recall not being able to connect reliably to any of them, but maybe something has changed this year.