If Gentoo can die off, ReiserFS is doomed (was Re: Reiser FS or ext3?)

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 01:27:56 CDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 6:50 PM, Leo Mauler <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Actually they haven't been supporting ReiserFS.  They've been paying
> Reiser's company, Namesys, for ReiserFS support, but with Hans Reiser in
> prison (thanks to all the "gossipy details"), thats ended.

I don't think you're making a fundamental mistake here.  Not all
distributions are the same.

Gentoo is a ricer's OS.  Folks who use it like to tweak systems and learn
stuff, and maybe put some bitchin' neon ground effects on it and a killer
stereo.  SuSE is a professional company that sells guaranteed products.

If some part of Gentoo doesn't work well, well then tough cookies there
Johnny Rocket.  Your mileage may vary.  No warranty.  No refunds.

SuSE guarantees their product.  If a supported version of SuSE supports
ReiserFS, then the company will support it to the best of their ability.

I don't care about the rest of the crap you're talking about, as it's not
what the original poster asked about.  He wanted to know of a journaling
filesystem for his old SuSE boxes.  Someone suggested ReiserFS.  I, like
most others, recommended he upgrade and use ext3.  However should he choose
to use his older OS and should ReiserFS be available and supported, it may
not be a bad idea _technically_.

If Richard Stallman went out and murdered some kittens would you stop using
the GCC compiler?  Would you shun FSF projects?  I think that somehow GCC
will still be a _technically_ sound compiler regardless of it's original
author's penchant for cat-butchery.  Perhaps its long term future might be
in jeopardy, but I'd think it'd still be able to compile my hello.c on my
current OS.

You are okay in pointing out that ReiserFS might not be a good long term
strategy but what does any of that have to do with him using ReiserFS on an
old distribution where it is _fully supported by a professional company_?
This isn't the Department of Homeland Security here.  I don't think this
guy's choice of filesystems has to be that big a deal.

I suppose the worst part is that I know I'm talking to a tree here.  You're
going to go over your same arguments again and again, and you'll probably
Google even more factoids to back up your obtuse position.  I've already
responded twice too many times, and in the interest of sparing others
another NetNews-like discussion between us I'll let you respond and then
I'll give it a rest.

Ciao.
Jeffrey.

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that