We seem to be scaring the non-free world of software

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 15:33:05 CDT 2008

Nitpicks aside, your response doesn't seem to disagree with my statements as
a whole.

You are correct that democracy isn't the same thing as civil rights
("freedom" in the colloquial use).  However, for a democracy to survive
there must be civil rights - the absence of them will eventually lead to its
demise.  Hence why externally propped-up democracies tend to eventually
devolve and fail.  For a good example of an ongoing devolution of a
democracy one only needs to look at Russia.

My examples, however, were to illustrate that just because a country has
civil rights (America) doesn't mean it embraces Free Software, and just
because a country doesn't have those rights (China) doesn't mean it won't
embrace it.

The net conclusion being that while a country's attitudes towards civil
rights may be a contributing factor towards the adoption of Free Software
and the like, it's certainly not the primary factor.  My assertion is that
pragmatism is the primary factor.

Jeffrey.

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that