Reiser FS or ext3?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 23 15:13:04 CDT 2008

While I'm sure there will be a lot of votes for ReiserFS, lets get real folks.  Ext3 is being developed by a bunch of people who are free to leave where they live whenever they want, use a computer without supervision, and also not have their wages garnished by the state to pay for their living arrangements.

Hans Reiser, the developer of the Reiser filesystem, murdered his wife Nina Reiser about 2 years ago (to avoid hefty child support payments), was convicted of the crime, has already shown authorities where he buried her body, and is about to start a 15-years-to-life prison term for that murder.  As the primary developer of the Reiser filesystem, and owner of the Namesys company which develops ReiserFS (which is unable to pay any employee's salary while he is incarcerated), Reiser4 development ground to a halt during his trial, and is likely to simply die off.

So the fact is that if your choice is between Reiser and Ext3, you may want to go with Ext3 simply because Ext3 will receive regular updates, and ReiserFS is dead in the ground (much like Nina Reiser).