Neuros releases OSD2 HD OpenSource Media Platform

Tom Bruno tom at limesg.com
Wed Sep 17 09:34:07 CDT 2008

Hello everyone,
  Recently (as of yesterday) Neuros Technologies has released a new hardware
and developer platform coined the "OSD2".  The OSD2 is an OpenSource based
HD platform.  We are working hard to provide Open Source communities with
open hardware that users, developers, and commercial projects can change and
modify to fit their unique needs, wants, hobbies.  A lot of work has went
into this unit especillay behind the scenes where we had to fight almost
daily inorder to get TI to open up documents, api, and system libraries for
their Digial Signal Processor technologies.

  The Neuros OSD2 HD is an unique class of device in a market full of
manufactures and product teams that are set on controlling what their
hardware does and how it is used.  Neuros is continuing to fight on behalf
of OpenSource software and software freedom to remove absolute control from
the producer of the product and place it into the hands of you the
consumer.  We cannot do this without the support of communities, linux
users, and users that understand their very freedom of use is under attack
by the media blob all around the world.

  On the technology front the OSD2 is based on Texas Instruments new Davinci
hardware that offers HD performance in low cost ARM+DSP cpus.  Low power
usage, low cost, and abilites to record up to 720P video over Component
input make the OSD2 a very unique box amoung all the other similar devices
on market.  With OSD2 moving to the OpenEmbedded distribution platform and
VLC frameworking being ported to control media/DSP features, software
avialable for the device will range from file sharing to full blown media
experiences.

For more information feel free to email me or head to any of these sites.
It is a great little box and is still under very active development so if
you are into hardware, embedded, or even want to just know more about linux
embedded in general this is a great place to start.  Currently we are
working to bring davinci and OSD2 into kernel.org mainline. You and your
support of Open devices goes a long way to help us show TI and other
hardware makers that Open Source and freedom are a better life.

Links:
http://open.neurostechnology.com/content/neuros-osd-20-hd-developer-kits-sale
http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/17/neuros-ships-hd-capable-osd-2-0-set-top-box/
http://www.boingboing.net/2008/09/16/neuros-open-settop-b.html