[Reminder] Software Freedom Day this Saturday

billycrook at gmail.com billycrook at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 11:59:02 CDT 2008

On 2008-09-16, Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO
<brian.kelsay at kcc.usda.gov> wrote:
> Can older wireless routers be converted to OpenWRT?

Your best bet on the SMC Barricade and Motorola router is to search
for their model numbers and OpenWRT on Google or in the OpenWRT Wiki
http://wiki.openwrt.org/
Documented successes and obstacles for various models of hardware can
be found at http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Hardware

> Never heard of "AfferoGPL" before or itenti.ca, and Gregarious.

The full text of the AGPLv3, translations, and FAQ, are available at
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/agpl-3.0.html

The AGPL was created to allow software authors to close what some
people would call the SaaS (Software as a Service) loophole.  The GPL
compels distributors of a modified GPL program to provide freedom to
its recipients.  However, it is becoming more and more common for
people to use "software" without ever having received a copy of it,
and thus, without it ever having been distributed.  Everything from
blogs to online auction houses can be seen as "software", even though
it ultimately only returns static html documents to a user's browser.
Under the traditional GPL, companies may obtain, and modify FLOSS
without providing freedom to their users if their users don't
specifically receive that software, and instead only interact with it
over a network.  Authors choosing the AGPL instead of the GPL don't
think that should matter.  The AGPL gives the same freedom to users
that the GPL gives to recipients.

Chris Bier told me about Gregarious when I mentioned I didn't
particularly have any need for Google to be 'in charge' of my rss
feeds.  Gregarious is only GPL, not AGPL, so it's possible say, for
Google to obtain a copy, modify it and add features, call it Google
Reader++, but never share their code with anyone else.  The AGPL would
allow the original project to benefit, and allow users to run their
own server for privacy, security, and sovereignty if they chose.