Flash alternatives

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Wed Sep 10 14:45:59 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 10 September 2008 13:47:51 Nathan Cerny wrote:
> That's fine, but there's a distinct difference between loading a "plugin"
> or module designed for the browser and loading a 3rd party app.

The only real difference is that sometimes 3rd party apps use a different
toolkit. But KDE's video players are themselves wrappers around 3rd party
frameworks-- either Kaffeine (Xine-based) or KMPlayer (MPlayer-based).

> I want to see support for streaming media just like browsers support images
> now.

Sure, the Mozilla team wrote their own image library from scratch, but I
suspect most browsers use shared libraries for this.

> I don't want a browser to have to load MPlayer, WMP, Quicktime, Flash, etc.
> THAT is stupid IMO.

Now you're contradicting yourself a bit... WMP is about the closest thing to a
native browser plugin as you can get for Windows.