Flash alternatives

Nathan Cerny ncerny at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 13:40:22 CDT 2008

> The <video> tag *specifically was* conceived to render video without
> proprietary plugins.  Aside from being bad from their license alone,
> proprietary video playback plugins are also technologically inferior,
> and video rendering exemplifies that.  Even Free video playback
> plugins are inferior to native rendering for performance reasons.

> With <video> the browser itself will render video, like it does pngs,
> and text.  Another great advantage is the video playback is exposed
> via the DOM, and can be CSS-ified, and interacted with dynamically
> using javascript.

Aye.  And the last I heard they were still discussing what codecs to employ
and what standards they should use.  So I would guess that if browsers do
support it they are attempting to beat the curve ;)

Here is a video of some of the magic this makes possible:
> http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/video_svg_demo.ogg
>
> You can download Firefox 3.1, Alpha 1 from:
> http://download.mozilla.org/?product=shiretoko-alpha1&os=linux&lang=en-US
>
> And demo video playback in your browser by visiting this url in it:
> http://people.xiph.org/~maikmerten/demos/arctic_giant.html
>
> For some reason, that demo site appeared to work properly on my
> machine which is not yet using FF3.1 (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux
> x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008071615 Fedora/3.0.1-1.fc9
> Firefox/3.0.1)
>
> The actual tag that corresponds to the video is:
> <video src="arctic_giant.ogg" width="512" height="385"
> controls="true"></video>
>
> So I guess it is also already supported in FireFox.

Awesome!  I didn't know FF supported it yet.  Are you sure that FF isn't
launching a 3rd party app, like Luke suggested?  If it truly is being
rendered by the browser and not a proprietary plugin (even if it IS MPlayer
:-P) then that's awesome.