Flash alternatives

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 10:00:34 CDT 2008

--- On Tue, 9/9/08, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 09 September 2008 14:53:10 you wrote:
> > I think you need to define what you mean by HTML.
>
> http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/tagpages/b/blink.htm
>
> It doesn't work that way. HTML is well-defined:
> http://www.w3.org/html/
>
> > It has in fact been supported by Netscape, it
> > was supported in IE4 (and I believe phased out
> > after that).
>
> Irrelevant.
>
> > It is part of the css1 standard (text-decoration:
> > blink).
>
> "text-decoration" is a CSS attribute, not a HTML
> element.

Luke-Jr does have a point here.  While CSS is a W3C standard, CSS is not HTML.  Google the exact phrase "CSS is not HTML" and note that there are nineteen websites which all use this exact phrase.

One example which provides some much needed clarification about what CSS actually is:

CSS Tutorial
http://www.tizag.com/cssT/internal.php

"CSS code is not written the same way as HTML code is. This makes sense because CSS is not HTML, but rather a way of manipulating existing HTML."

Just because you can view an effect in a web browser doesn't make the code that produced the effect HTML.