Flash alternatives

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 09:36:43 CDT 2008

--- On Tue, 9/9/08, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 09 September 2008 14:12:38 Nathan Cerny wrote:
> > I think he meant the <blink> </blink> tags
> :)
>
> Those have never been part of HTML either.

While not officially a part of the official HTML tag set, the <blink> tag is, ironically, still supported by the browser which came up with the <blink> tag, Netscape Navigator.  It is also supported by Netscape Navigator's open-source GPLed children, Mozilla and Firefox, and also by the proprietary Opera web browser.

The closed-source proprietary Internet Explorer browser does not support the <blink> tag, possibly one of the few good decisions ever made by Microsoft.

Ironically, blinking text has been a part of HTML since 1996, entirely thanks to the influence of the non-standard <blink> tag, by the creation of a "blink" value for "text-decoration" within CSS1, when CSSq.