Flash alternatives

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 09:21:07 CDT 2008

--- On Tue, 9/9/08, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 09 September 2008 13:56:45 David
> Nicol wrote:
>
> > Which is why the <flash>flash tag</flash>
> > is universally shunned by html style tutorials,
> > who include it only out of duty to be
> > comprehensive, and always with a warning that
> > it is nearly always poor style.
>
> What 'flash' tag? There is none.

A working hypothesis shared by nearly every web designer who isn't also a spammer or a teenage boy who has just learned basic HTML.

Sadly, not a true hypothesis.

> Nor have I ever seen a claim of one before.

It's understandable that web designers and anyone who knows HTML has attempted to forget the BLINK tag, apparently in this case by mentally renaming the command to something which isn't a HTML tag (thinking in terms of "flashing text" apparently) and forgetting the original (apologies for helping you remember the BLINK tag...).

The BLINK tag has been the bane of web surfers since the dawn of the World Wide Web, and web design instructors have been trying to stamp out its use in every HTML class they teach.