Flash alternatives

Nathan Cerny ncerny at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 15:03:56 CDT 2008

You still need a renderer to display the video - whether you embed a java
object, a flash object, a Windows Media Player object, etc...you're still
going to leave out a segment of the crowd.  No matter what method you chose
you're still using a proprietary plugin - you just have to choose the one
you think the most people will have.  I think that's flash.
The video tag is new in the HTML 5.0 standard - a standard that is still
being drafted, and not supported in any modern browser yet.  The current
generation of browsers (Firefox 3, Safari 3.1, IE 8, etc) have limited
support of the draft, but from what I'm seeing the video tag isn't included
in their support.

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 2:15 PM, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 09 September 2008 14:10:13 Nathan Cerny wrote:
> > Ah, but don't forget that a good majority of the streaming media out
> there
> > is flash-based.  It's not all flashy menus and pretty animations.  It
> does
> > actually have a useful purpose too!
>
> Just because it is widespread doesn't change the fact that video embedding
> should be done with the <video> element (or, for older browsers, <object>
> directly) and not use some proprietary plugin.

Nathan Cerny

One bright day, in the middle of the night, two dead boys stood up to fight.
Back to back, they faced each other. Drew their swords, and shot each other.
The deaf policeman heard the sound, and put those boys back in the ground.
If you don't believe this lie is true, ask Harry the blind man, he saw it,
too.