Adobe Flash in Firefox on Ubuntu 7.10

billycrook at gmail.com billycrook at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 18:07:58 CDT 2008

On 2008-09-08, Craig Aldinger <gonzogone at gmail.com> wrote:
> Had a number of misadventures w/ my system at home (mostly hardware) that
> resulted in Oren building me a new tower. I did the load of Ubuntu 7.10 from
> my canonical disc, downloaded all the available updates and brought it home
> and am currently up to almost 24 hrs without any running problems.....
> except getting an Adobe Flash player loaded, something needful for me to do
> a variety of audio streaming things. Oren indicated that there was some kind
> of Firefox/Ubuntu/Adobe breakdown he had gotten wind of, am wondering if you
> have any advice/shortcuts/hacks that I can use. If you think it potentially
> productive, feel free to pass this to the list for consideration.
>
> Thanks!

I have relatively little luck and patience for Adobe flash on
GNU+Linux.  I've found that ies4linux is usually more stable for flash
than anything else because at least Adobe *wants* flash to work with
IE on Windows.  I find the unpredictable stability of flash player an
excellent excuse to abstain from all flash content whenever possible.
If a website "requires" flash, it is broken.  You you wouldn't scamper
around installing browsers and plugins if you got a 404 error would
you?

While I am not familiar with doing it at all in Ubuntu.  Ubuntu
supposedly had a package called ubuntu-restricted-extras which was a
quick and dirty way to get common proprietary software installed.

The common culprits are not having libflashsupport or nspluginwrapper
instaled, but the latter has more to do with bringing 32bit plugins to
a 64bit FireFox, and I doubt the stamped cd from Ubuntu you have is
64-bit.

You're going to hear "Install Ubuntu 8.04 instead", and that's not a
bad idea.  If you don't have a cd of it, I will bring one to the next
meeting.  If I were you, and had to use Ubuntu, and Adobe flash, I
would
 - Have to agree to its license at http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/
 - Download the .tar.gx file from adobe at
http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
 - Extract it (tar xf install_flash_player_9_linux)
 - cd in to it
 - run ./flashplayer-installer from the command line.