Which CD to burn enmasse for ITEC? (was Re: Ubuntu 8.10 Alpha 5 now available)

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 8 10:16:21 CDT 2008

--- On Sun, 9/7/08, Oren Beck <orenbeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 5:36 PM, Justin Dugger
> <jldugger at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 10:08 PM, Geoffrion, Ron P [IT]
> > <Ron.Geoffrion at sprint.com> wrote:
> >> Pick one small enough to put extras on - like
> >> songs/videos/artwork/etc - eg. free cultural
> >> artifacts.
>
> > Well, it's not like KCLUG has an active
> > songs/video/artwork community.  But Ubuntu is
> > looking to place some new stuff on the
> > Live CD:
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFreeCultureShowcase.
> > I believe the goal is to have that in 8.10.  But
> > space is always tight on the LiveCD so the
> > competition is fierce and the space is limited.
> >
> > There's also a DVD image with more software on it
> > -- maybe you could take Ubuntu LiveCD .iso and add
> > files for a new DVD image?
>
> Gutenberg?

Personally I say hand them Linux and tell them Project Gutenberg's URL.  As anyone who has been on the KCLUG list for any length of time can tell you, the wide variety of opinions on KCLUG would make a discussion of which Gutenberg books to put on a LiveCD into something akin to a religious war.

Let the folks who install Linux find their own content.  They'll be happier in the end with their own choices than whatever we'd pick for them anyway.