Which CD to burn enmasse for ITEC? (was Re: Ubuntu 8.10 Alpha 5 now available)

Nathan Cerny ncerny at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 23:29:50 CDT 2008

I agree that we should have a bunch of CDs of the same distro on hand with
the ability to give out others if people are interested.  I need a reminder
- does the ubuntu image have a liveCD on it?  If so definately go with
ubuntu.  Otherwise, might do some sort of liveCD-with-installer so people
can play with linux on their pc without a lot of effort - get them hooked
fast and make converting easy ;)

I would definately promote either FC or Ubuntu though - those are the only
two distros that I've installed that just worked out of the box with little
or no tweaking on my end.  We don't want new users to get frustrated...let
them get hooked first, then give them gentoo/LFS =)

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 9:39 PM, Leo Mauler <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Sat, 9/6/08, Oren Beck <orenbeck at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 5:29 PM, Leo Mauler
> > <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > And on another note, I'm getting ready to burn a
> > > spindle of Linux CDs for ITEC.  Should I wait until
> > > October and then burn one of the newer alpha images,
> > > or get started now on the "stable" Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
> > > image?
>
> > Consider perhaps a lighter footprint distro. My current
> > contenders are Puppy or Damn Small.
>
> I'm reluctant to promote Puppy Linux to newcomers as it has its own
> proprietary packaging system (".pet") and this system only seems to have a
> utility for converting Slackware packages to .PET packages.  While Slackware
> is still a nice distro, it is still not a distro I would start a non-Linux
> user on to get interested in Linux.
>
> DSL does Debian's package manager and can convert to a full Debian install
> (two major bonuses), but the problem with ITEC is that attendees have had a
> year or two to see Vista's Aero and all the other eye candy, and DSL is very
> basic.  Ubuntu is flashy as well as good, so it still may be the better
> distro for ITEC.

Nathan Cerny

One bright day, in the middle of the night, two dead boys stood up to fight.
Back to back, they faced each other. Drew their swords, and shot each other.
The deaf policeman heard the sound, and put those boys back in the ground.
If you don't believe this lie is true, ask Harry the blind man, he saw it,
too.