Which CD to burn enmasse for ITEC? (was Re: Ubuntu 8.10 Alpha 5 now available)

Kendric Beachey kendric.beachey at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 11:58:23 CDT 2008

(peeking out of the lurking cave)

I side with Leo on this issue...have a large stash of Ubuntu 8.04 (or 8.04.1
if it is available) to give to the folks who drop by.  I'd think the
majority of people coming by would be the folks who have, as noted earlier,
maybe heard of Linux but never used it.  They're not going to want any
particular distro.  They may not even know there's more than one.  Chances
are many of them aren't going to want ANY distro and we'll just be hoping to
get them to try it out some Saturday when they have nothing else lined up.
For newbies such as these, Ubuntu 8.04(.1) makes good sense because it's
designed to be easy, and the LTS means it will be supported longer, plus it
won't be hassling them to upgrade to 8.10 in just a few weeks.

Having a machine or two on site to burn more is also a good idea, although
I'd say if it looks like the pre-burned stash is going quickly, just start
burning those babies non-stop rather than waiting for someone to ask.  Then
hopefully you can just stay ahead of demand and there'll always be some
ready to go right away.

As far as being a source of other distros, I would say just focus on Ubuntu
for giving out, although it's certainly fine to describe the others.  But
anyone who genuinely wants one of the others probably already knows enough
to get it themselves (and probably already runs it anyway).

My two cents.

Kendric Beachey