Google Chrome

Hal Duston hald at kc.rr.com
Fri Sep 5 21:36:27 CDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 09:29:51PM -0500, Justin Dugger wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 8:31 PM, Hal Duston <hald at kc.rr.com> wrote:
> > the environment.  All the program is doing is modifying the contents
> > of argv[0] after making provision for the rest of the environment.
>
> I wonder if ps has been evaluated for security.  It's old enough that
> surely someone's thought of attacking scripts like that before. I'm
> sure there's a few scripts out there written to run 'ps' as root.

I'm not sure I follow.  The application is modifying its own argv[0].
ps is reading /proc/<pid>/cmdline, and displaying it.  Where is the
risk?  ps already has to be concerned about any indeterminate values
being in /proc/<pid>/cmdline regardless of the fact that some random
process can modify its own argv[0].

Thanks,
--
Hal