DVDneXtCOPY iTurns Removes iTunes DRM with Virtual CD Burner

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 30 16:53:55 CDT 2008

--- On Wed, 10/29/08, Jon Pruente <jdpruente at gmail.com> wrote:

> QUOTE
> "works in the background to split the virtual disc
> back into unprotected MP3s. Album art, tags, and
> other metadata are all preserved"
> QUOTE
>
> Apparently you choose to just rant not to actually read.
> I'm done with you.

I'm sorry, you are correct, DVDneXtCopy, while preserving Apple's right to promote DRM files, does preserve metadata.  You were quite correct and I was wrong about the preservation of metadata using the Windows-only tool.

I am a little concerned about the legality of the DVDneXtCopy tool as its claim to legality hinges on it only using data in its pseudo-CDBurner *after* the iTunes software removes the DRM itself and delivers the file to the "CD Burning Software".  Its use of the metadata in the DRMed music file suggests a certain access of data prior to iTunes removing the DRM.

I should point out that the "free" version only allows the patented MP3 format, while paradoxically the "pay" version includes the FOSS Ogg format.  Its probably appropriate that the software used to convert iTunes DRM music parallels Apple's business model of iTunes: the "nonfree" music (as in DRM, not cost) costs less than the "free" music (as in DRM, not cost).