DVDneXtCOPY iTurns Removes iTunes DRM with Virtual CD Burner

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 29 04:28:44 CDT 2008

Yes, DVDneXtCOPY still removes all your music tag info from your DRM music files and forces you to retype all of it, in addition to forcing you to spend several more hours converting all the iTunes DRM music into a non-DRM format (and you have to install the software to find out whether or not there's a batch mode).  This is not the same as "no DRM to begin with" and all it does is promote the evil of DRM, like cutting taxes on gasoline instead of funding a replacement non-fossil fuel.

DRM promotes making you do a lot more work after you did all that work earning the money to buy the music.  I'm still scratching my head over everyone who tries to justify wasting everyone's free time and eventually money by posting all manner of DRM-enabling "solutions" to help support the draining of wallets (into Apple's bank accounts) and free time for music which will eventually be forcibly removed from consumers when Apple alters their DRM system and/or shuts down the central server.  Apple's iTunes, I'm being told, are just innocent bystanders who have *no control whatsoever* over what they sell out of their corporate iTunes website, since their metaphorical testicles are in a pair of metaphorical pliers held by the record labels (which apparently can give a not-so-metaphorical squeeze anytime they want).

According to MaximumPC, which listen-tested iTunes DRM 128K AAC files against iTunes Plus DRM-Free 256K AAC files when iTunes Plus first came out, there's not a noticable difference between the two types of music files.  Add on Apple's insistence on a 33% markup on iTunes Plus tracks over their iTunes DRM counterparts (despite no improvement in quality), and all of the "After You've Worked For The Money To Buy The Music, Here's Lots More Work For YOU" DRM-removal "solutions", and this isn't a laudable effort to support DRM-free music.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/04/itunes-vs-itunes-plus-an-audible-difference/

Defending Apple isn't the right tack to take.  They're making their own bed, don't give them yours to sleep in instead (on top of everything else they're taking away from you).

And yes, I am particularly angry that DRM is preventing me from playing "Spore" on Linux.  Don't give me your "illegally hacked executable" DRM-enabling "solution" to that one either.