DRM and the PRO-IP Act - Limited time opportunity?

jdpruente at gmail.com jdpruente at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 09:25:49 CDT 2008

On Oct 26, 2008 2:21am, Leo Mauler <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- On Sun, 10/26/08, Jon Pruente wrote:
> > the store. I don't think Apple/Audible/others
> > are particularly to blame, so much as the recording
> > labels.
>
> So "Apple" isn't to blame for *allowing* razorblade-spiked Halloween
apples among their other Halloween apples because "Apple" didn't put the
razorblades in the spiked Halloween apples?

> iTunes is an enabler of DRM, if nothing else, and the complaints about
iTunes are thus valid and should be there, if for no other reason but to
poison DRM in the minds of Apple execs. Whether or not the label chooses to
put the DRM content into iTunes or not, its still up to Apple whether to
*sell* the DRM content or not.

Human free will is an enabler of sin. Does that mean we fall into the
Devil's suggestion that we remove free will and make mankind do exactly as
God pleases, just so people won't be evil and sin? (Oh no! Religious flame
war in 3... 2... 1...) The throttle on basically every car made has the
capability to exceed posted speed limits, thus "enables" speeding and
breaking the law, and even DANGEROUS DRIVING! Should we install speed
governors in every car so that they cannot exceed the maximum speed of the
road they are on to prevent people from driving illegally and recklessly?
We can put stupid and exaggerated claims up to compare DRM to and to the
layman it sounds like the raving of a nut. So, that's the problem with your
argument; DRM and razors? I didn't say Apple wasn't to blame, I said they
weren't particularly to blame. With iTunes Apple seems to favor non-DRM, as
they make it fairly easy to remove it from DMR-encrusted files, and the
non-DRM files they offer are of higher quality, thus anyone who chooses(!!!
OMG FREE WILL!!! NONONONONONONO!) to buy the non-DRM content from them
already gets a better product. Businesses sell what sells. If the non-DRM
content outsells the DRM content it's not long before a wise business
person will make the switch. It's just making that first step to put the
non-DRM content up. It's painfully obvious that Apple makes buying the
non-DRM content a better quality product than the DRM-enabled stuff. Apple
also provides a method to convert content away from DRM-encrusted if a
non-DRM version is made available, albeit at a nominal fee.

I'm not getting into a DRM flame war here. I don't like DRM, but I also
don't like wildly exaggerated hyperbole when stating the plain facts do
just fine.

Jon.