Free, Linux-compatible Dialup Internet Service Providers

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 19 14:21:35 CDT 2008

--- On Sat, 10/18/08, Sean Crago <cragos at gmail.com> wrote:

> NetZero might not be the most Linux-friendly ISP
> out there but, back in the day, if you called and
> asked for regular PPP credentials they'd give 'em
> to you. I did this twice for Windows users that
> had machines that were so antiquated and underpowered
> that they struggled to simultaneously run the adware
> and a proper IE session.  Tested the credentials
> w/Linux's pppd, and they worked just fine.  The only
> thing that might prevent this from working in your
> case is that they were both paying customers and the
> fact that all this was 2-3 years ago.  Also, be
> prepared to lie and not tell them that you're using
> a *gasp* unsupported operating system - Obviously a
> $0-$10/month dialup ISP isn't going to be getting
> the cream of the tech support worker crop, so far as
> their ability work with multiple OSes goes.
>
> Worth a shot, if you can't find anything else local.

Actually I'm suggesting the long-distance dialup provider only for folks who are already paying for unlimited long distance and want fairly unlimited Internet because they get on the Internet a lot.

For the folks who are poor, don't have unlimited long distance (which might be penny-wise, dollar-foolish) and have gotten used to not using the Internet much, there's Budget Dialup (www.budgetdialup.com).  They are Linux friendly and have very reasonable prepaid Internet rates for blocks of time in hours: $5.95 for 10, $9.95 for 20, and $28.95 for 60.   The time lasts 1 year and purchases of new time add all the old time to the new 1 year expiration date.

JUNO/NetZero (JUNO bought NetZero awhile back, so its the same company) frequently plays little tricks with your "free" 10 hours, such that most people report that its more like 3 hours or less.  With Budget Dialup, I think JUNO/NetZero can be safely ignored, especially by the Linux crowd.