Donate Your Old Hardware to Those Who Can Use It [Blog Action Day 2008]

JDP/Frogman jdpruente at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 17:20:04 CDT 2008

  Sent to you by JDP/Frogman via Google Reader: Donate Your Old Hardware
to Those Who Can Use It [Blog Action Day 2008] via Lifehacker by Kevin
Purdy on 10/15/08
There are lots of cool things you can do with leftover hardware, from
building a home-baked server box to reviving an old laptop and beyond.
But one of the best hacks you can pull off is making your gear
available for the people and communities that can't afford the latest
and greatest. I recently met and signed up with a local non-profit that
refurbishes and installs computers for those in need, and learned a bit
about how anyone can help do the same. As part of Blog Action Day 2008,
I'm listing below a few links and resources for those looking to help,
and a few quick tips on donating your hardware (or your time). Photo by
Strutta.com.

Having been blessed with a somewhat flexible schedule and a surfeit of
geeky know-how, I wanted to see if I put the skills I normally use in
my free time to use for a greater cause—having read that such is the
best way to find a cause you can stick with. A few weeks back, I
happened to drive by the storefront for Buffalo, NY's Computers for
Children, which does exactly what it sounds like. I emailed the
directors asking how I could help, and was invited in to take a tour
and submit an application and my resume (a formality many non-profits
must require, for various legal and insurance reasons).

Some of the systems that end up at Computers for Children (CFC) come
from bulk upgrades at corporate or governmental entities, but personal
donations can be crucial in filling in the gaps. An IT department
might, for example, yank the hard drives from an entire fleet of beige
desktop boxes for security or salvage purposes, leaving them mostly
useless for renovation purposes. Personal donations also bring in the
more unique consumer-oriented hardware that can be put to use in
creating group servers, teaching children how to use digital cameras,
and filling out otherwise perfectly good systems missing one crucial
part.

 From my brief interviews and tour at CFC, I learned a few things about
what similar charities are looking for:
- Working hard drives: They're often the first thing to go on otherwise
functional systems, and while you may think your 40 GB Maxtor is too
tiny for your MP3 vaults, it's perfect for a shared community center or
school system.
- Non-white monitors—LCD, if possible: This may not be true at all
firms, but CFC has a surfeit of white or beige CRT units (a.k.a. big
old-school monitors) that don't match with the increasingly
dark-colored systems they're working on selling and renovating. If
you've got a dark-framed monitor you're thinking about pitching,
consider helping a charity out.
- Read the requirements: Most non-profits and community donation
centers will list on their web sites the minimum requirements for the
systems they're looking for. Take a glance before you hop in the
car—dropping off your far-outdated gear just leaves them with heavy,
space-taking stuff to get rid of.
- No computer geniuses required: You may not be a pro at setting up KVM
systems or firmware upgrades, but many technology-focused charities
often need volunteers to help set up and explain the systems, and newer
technology like blogging and digital cameras, to schools, community
classes, and other causes. In other words, if you're reading this blog,
there's a good chance your skills can be put to good use.

I'm looking forward to putting in time with CFC, and you can likely
find a similar group you can donate to, volunteer for, or otherwise
help out with. Here's a short list of some potentials:
- The National Christina Foundation, which also works with Dell's
recycling program to accept hardware.
- TechSoup's resources page, which points to a variety of resources in
the left-hand "Donate Computer Equipment" box.
- Computers for Schools is a Chicago-based group with affiliates in 34
states. Here's a list of drop-off points.
- Microsoft has a list of ten tips for computer donation, including
advice to keep the OS intact, if possible, and guides to wiping your
personal data off your hard drive before donating.
- UsedComputer.com has a extensive list of computer donation groups,
along with recycling resources for the stuff that just isn't needed.
- Open-source firm Untangle teams up with the yearly LinuxWorld
conference in San Francisco to organize Installfest for Schools. Hit
the link to learn more about donating or setting up a Linux-flavored
Installfest in your own town.

Got a local or national non-profit that helps put hardware and other
technology to use in the communities that need them? Share the link in
the comments.

Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to Lifehacker using Google Reader
favorite sites