ITEC: The Economy Got To Them Too

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 14 19:37:43 CDT 2008

The Kansas City Linux Users Group booth at ITEC is #423.

It looks like some folks on this list will get their wish, albeit in a "monkey's paw" fashion: the booth package for "Associate Partners of ITEC!" does not come with electricity, meaning that there will be no demo PC, but also no "onsite burning of LiveCDs", and no laptops which need to be plugged into an outlet.  No demonstration machines whatsoever.

If anyone can burn up another 50 Ubuntu 8.04.1 LiveCDs and drop them by ITEC, that would be most appreciated.  I've only managed 50 so far.  I have 100 paper sleeves so if you show up with a spindle of 50 burnt CDs I can stick them in sleeves.  I'm going to print up a bunch more brochures like from last year as well.  Without any demonstration systems we are going to run out of CDs and printed materials quickly.

The booth package for "Associate Partners of ITEC!" also did not come with a table or chairs (it did come with a curtain back wall, side curtain mini-walls, carpet on the floor, and an open ceiling), so I've set up a 4' table with a red tablecloth.  If someone could bring another table, that would be nice, and aim for a dark red tablecloth.  If you want to come by and hang out, or sit in the booth for awhile greeting attendees, remember to bring a chair.

Whomever has the KCLUG banner needs to bring it by, and the KCLUG librarian needs to bring the Linux books, so that there will be subjects to talk about.

Personally I'm annoyed.  Stephen Fry recently did a 45 minute video about Free and Open Source Software, and the Birthday of GNU, titled "Happy Birthday To GNU", and released it in OGV (Ogg/Thedora) format with a "Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works" license (which permits it to be converted into other formats to distribute it widely, such as through YouTube or on a DVD, as long as it is disseminated in its complete form), and it would have been a wonderful addition to the KCLUG booth.

Y'all can download and view a copy of this video, which Stephen Fry and GNU both want distributed as widely as possible, through blogger links, http://stephenfry.com/blog/?p=52, and through the GNU website:

http://www.gnu.org/fry/happy-birthday-to-gnu-download.html

Lots of different sizes, from a high-res 125MB OGV file to a dial-up 3MB OGV file, and sizes inbetween.  One of the medium sized versions has English subtitles, there are several sizes in French, and there is even an Ogg Audio file of the program.