Making a categorical niche. The "most used" functionality. And what defines it

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 14:33:52 CDT 2008

The simple concept is deceptive in it's impact. We at one time had
niche hardware such as mail stations and Pocketmail devices. And they
*STILL* have a devoted following of users in their niche markets. If
all one does is a limited range of functions they have no need for
more. The value of accepting that fact hatches a new zen like wisdom.
If all the user is doing is Function list X- than they can use
whatever will comfortably do the list. YES- many of us really want or
need to do "bleeding edge" stuff with computers. But there is a major
chunk of our society that "nothing beyond a browser" is needed. We
even can consider skipping a local printer.  All that is needed is a
net browser. There are countless numbers of folks who do NOT have easy
access to a web browser of any sort. Having one in the day room of a
care facility for example. Having the less fortunate among us get one
per family! One Laptop Per Child ? When America does not have one web
browser enabled seat for each FAMILY? That reality sort of is
derogatory to America. Sending a single usable system or laptop to
recycling is a shameful failure. The preferred recycling should be
into productive service. By running a Linux distro suited to that
minimum functionality. The details can be made trivial. Oh? Who pays
for this? Our whole species if we flunk at it.

--
Oren Beck

816.729.3645