Linux Works (And Shines) On ANY Computer

David Nicol davidnicol at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 14:24:50 CDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Hal Duston <hald at kc.rr.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 04:06:09AM -0500, Billy Crook wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 23:25, Hal Duston <hald at kc.rr.com> wrote:
>> consumer cars.  ABS is forbidden by regulation, which almost sounds
>> like they want to have crashes...

I'm guessing that it's a zero-day kind of thing.  One car with ABS in
a pack going 200mph could make a bad thing far worse when it comes
time to do the braking.  If they all had it -- like, the NASCAR gods
issue a fiat stating that they will all have it, next season, by
regulation -- that would be different, and I would not be surprised to
live to see that day.  I would engineer the whole track to turn on
everyone's ABS simultaneously on a radio signal, possibly mechanically
triggered by some kind of radio signal ceasing to arrive for a few ms
from the first crashing race car.  And NASCAR would be safer, and
there would be cultural acceptance of automatic braking systems to
prevent tailgating on highways, and when a white-tailed deer wanders
onto I-70 it would have a better chance of making it to the other
side.

--
"Experience suggests that we reject Machiavelli, that we do not accept
subservience, whether to princes or presidents, and that we examine