Acer Aspire One built in wireless really 500mW?

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.net
Mon Oct 13 11:50:03 CDT 2008

That's what iwconfig shows!

Does anyone else have one of these netbooks with the new native 2.6.27
ath5k wireless drivers installed?  iwconfig is showing 27dbm transmit
power.  That can't be right, but my wireless router is showing a 13db
stronger signal compared to my other laptops.  That would put it around
500mW.

Unfortunately, the iwconfig txpower setting doesn't seem to lower the
power.  I don't need to transmit to the entire neighborhood.  And when I
send large files for half an hour or more, I need to reboot by taking out
the battery to reset the wireless module.  It gets that hot.

The reception on the card is quite good too.  Very good signal to noise
ratio.

localhost dattaway # iwconfig wlan0
wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:"ilikecheesereallyido"
           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point:
00:14:BF:04:F6:2F
           Bit Rate=12 Mb/s   Tx-Power=27 dBm
           Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2352 B
           Encryption key:off
           Power Management:off
           Link Quality=40/100  Signal level:-76 dBm  Noise level=-102 dBm