Linux Works (And Shines) On ANY Computer

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 04:06:09 CDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 23:25, Hal Duston <hald at kc.rr.com> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that NASCAR doesn't have ABS, power steering, radio, etc.
> I'm also pretty sure they run, and drive.

I don't know any NASCAR drivers personally, but I doubt they'd even
actually want to drive their race cars to work every day and run
errands, and do normal people things.  I googled it, and they do have
power steering, and more radio communications equipment than most
consumer cars.  ABS is forbidden by regulation, which almost sounds
like they want to have crashes...

> Granted this isn't a 200mhz Pentium Pro (it's older and slower), but
> it does what I need.
>
> root at charon:~# uname -a
> Linux charon 2.6.23.9 #1 Tue Dec 4 17:23:50 CST 2007 i586 Pentium 75 - 200 GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

That's nice.  I especially like that ram count.  Here's mine:
[bcrook at Zero ~]$ free
Mem:       4065004    4035912      29092          0      19576    2597740
-/+ buffers/cache:    1418596    2646408
Swap:      2031608          0    2031608
[bcrook at Zero ~]$ ps aux | wc -l
332
[bcrook at Zero ~]$ netstat -tuan | wc -l
226

iostat:
avg-cpu:  %user   %nice %system %iowait  %steal   %idle
          24.77    0.00    3.91    3.31    0.00   68.00

You must not ever edit home movies, photos, or use openoffice, or
firefox, or flash player, or pidgin, or compiz I take it.  You're just
a special guy then.  Because everyone else wants a more engaging
experience.  I use GNU screen, and vim and bash every day.  They're
great, but they don't pass the 'mom test'.  I'm interested to know
what "desktop environment" you use, of if you use X11 at all.  Screen
resolution?