Reuse, recycle - Things to do with an old computer… @ Digital Nomads

JDP/Frogman jdpruente at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 17:42:41 CDT 2008

  Sent to you by JDP/Frogman via Google Reader: Reuse, recycle - Things
to do with an old computer… @ Digital Nomads via MAKE Magazine by
Phillip Torrone on 10/8/08

MAKE is participating in a campaign with DELL called Digtal Nomads, my
latest post is about things you can do with an old computer...
I seem to be magnet for old computers. It’s not a bad thing really —
people assume that an old or broken laptop will likely find some use
when handed over to me. It’s true. Photo frames, music servers, print
servers, robot brains, postage stations, MAME (retro gaming)… whatever,
I’ll do something with an old computer before ever consider throwing it
out. I’m sure many of you have the same collection somewhere. But the
thing I like to do the most when receiving an old laptop is to wipe it
completely and set it up for a kid or someone who doesn’t have a
computer to use. It’s the most rewarding thing you can possibly do. You
never know what will spark a mind to become interested in science and
technology but I think a computer increases the odds. I fill the drive
with PDFs of some old science texts and bookmarks to all the sites I
think are fun and educational. It’s a bit of a lottery ticket approach,
maybe these kids will just goof off, but if just a few end up solving
some of the challenges ahead because they tuned in early it’s worth the
hour or so I spend fixing up these old machines. Read more | Permalink
| Comments | Read more articles in Computers | Digg this!
Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to MAKE Magazine using Google Reader
favorite sites