Midrange Web Browser? (between Firefox and Dillo)

jim at jimani.com jim at jimani.com
Mon Oct 6 23:38:31 CDT 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 10:03:36AM -0700, Leo Mauler wrote:

> I may not desire Flash, but I still want to occasionally see images (load images by default is of course turned off).  I've heard that an alternative text-only browser, Links, can do images, but I know Lynx can't do images.

Perhaps "do images" isn't a builtin but I have configured my Lynx to display
images when I want to see them.  I use "zgv" to display images without X.  In
/etc/mailcap I have a line like:

  image/* ; /usr/bin/zgv %s ; needsterminal ; test=test -z $DISPLAY

that says to use zgv if there is no X ($DISPLAY is zero length).  Configure
Lynx options to have "Show images" be "as links" and then just "click" on
the images you want to see.

This setup is very responsive on my 32 meg P100 laptop.  Lynx may not be
what you want but it is lightweight and will let you see images.
--
Jim