Midrange Web Browser? (between Firefox and Dillo)

Sean Crago cragos at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 09:42:20 CDT 2008

> Try July of *last year*. Epiphany has been WebKit-based for 15 months now,
> starting with 2.19.6:
> http://blogs.gnome.org/epiphany/2007/07/30/epiphany-2196-released-webkit-back-end/
>
> I was also referring to the Nokia Internet Tablets, which are known to also
> use WebKit (though not Epiphany, AFAIK).

Maemo (as of the current build, 4.1 - Note the lack of any major
browser upgrade mention in the release notes:
http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/4.1/maemo-sdk-relnotes_4.1.txt) still
ships with MicroB, which is Gecko based. No other browser is installed
by default, though there were apparently multiple successful ports
released in 2007 (one based on Epiphany) - Not sure how mature they
are/can't vouch for 'em. While I'm pleasantly surprised to learn that
I was (partially) wrong about the status of Webkit in Epiphany, it is
still a build option that is considered to be in beta status. Perhaps
I'm misreading your statement, but if you meant to imply that Webkit
was used by default in Ephiphany or Maemo, I believe you were
mistaken.

Epiphany's most recent release notes seem to back up the above -
http://blogs.gnome.org/epiphany/  Luckily I am wrong about the CVS
thing - It's further along than that -  but my core point that it
wasn't quite ready for primetime and wouldn't be present in any stable
distro's binaries is still likely true. If major distros are compiling
in webkit, though, that's great - The more choice the better. Are
they? And if you do compile in Webkit support does it still compile in
Gecko support and let you switch back and forth?

More importantly for Leo's question, is it faster/substantially more
efficient than an optimized Firefox config?

Sean Crago
Kathmandu