Conversion to Linux

Ty Unes riverty at kc.rr.com
Mon Nov 3 23:04:05 CST 2008

I may be incorrect on this but, I have always thought that RedHat
started their business to sell support for Linux, not necessarily their
version of Linux. RedHat started with only one distribution, freely
downloadable, and built their business on selling "official support" for
that distribution.

At the time, I was running Slackware servers and will admit that I
didn't really follow the reasoning behind Redhat's split into Fedora and
RHEL. My guess was, without really following along, that RedHat decided
to garner the cool system administration tools that made their
distribution "enterprise ready" for themselves, and release and support
Fedora freely onward.

If this is true, then I don't see why CentOS is in the wrong and/or
hurting RHEL. Cent is not selling support for their distribution.
Although, I've been to their website and read a bit. It IS kinda quirky
how they refer to RedHat as "a prominent North American Enterprise Linux
vendor." Almost like they feel like they are stealing.