Conversion to Linux

Phil Thayer phil.thayer at vitalsite.com
Mon Nov 3 06:55:37 CST 2008

I think that in today's corporate world there needs to be a mix of OS's
that provide the best capabilities  available.  One cannot be tied into
a single OS to do all the work because there are strengths and
weaknesses in all of them.  When it comes to desktops I think that Linux
is a good choice because pretty much any major distribution is stable
enough.  When it comes to the server environment, everyone keeps talking
about how the desktop distros will support Exchange, so you will
probably still have some Windows servers somewhere in your environment.
Other servers may be a combination of Windows and Linux.

What I think is being overlooked is when you're trying to manage
hundreds of desktops spread across several buildings it is imperative to
have a centralized management solution, whether it is for Windows or
Linux.  This is where VMWare is a good choice.  Using a small number of
desktop images that are built and tested to make sure they are working
as a base to serve a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure would work well and
need a very small desktop machine to function.  Also, you could use a
PXE server to provide a similar type of solution but would need a more
robust desktop machine.

I think what I am trying to say is no matter what you do and the mix of
OS's that you use, the expense in a computer environment is not is the
purchase of the equipment, software or implementation, it is the cost of
the ongoing support, maintenance and operations (power cost, addition of
desktops, replacement/repair of desktops, etc...) of the equipment.
Implementing one solution over another on the front-end can cost huge
amounts of money on the backend.  Make sure that you are not blinded
about the end cost by the lower dollar amounts on the front end.

Phil