But Apple *did* come late to the "real" online music business...

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 03:32:04 CST 2008

"Big" versus "small" in the business world is measured in dollars and cents,
not in number of labels.  Subscription services have always been a small
part of the music business.

Before iTunes, the online market was a tiny fraction of what it it is now.
iTunes is now the largest music retailer.  Most online music retail outlets
until very recently only offered DRMed tracks.  MP3 players from different
vendors were everywhere when iTunes was launched, and were selling well.

In other words, it's silly to say that Apple's DRM and iPod somehow squeezed
out the competition because of _monopoly power_.  When both started they
weren't the dominant force they are today.  They are dominant _today_
because Apple made a superior product and offered a superior service.  If
you can't see that there's no hope for you, Leo.

Jeffrey.

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that