But Apple *did* come late to the "real" online music business...

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 02:01:15 CST 2008

"But Apple did come late to the party, and through their evil use of DRM and
monopoly power wrested control of the market from *Rhapsody*."

Oh come on, could you be any more ridiculous?  The online music market was
tiny until Apple built the industry.  Just because some small companies had
streaming music services beforehand doesn't mean that there was a
multi-billion dollar industry there.  Hell, I'd be suprised if it were
multi-million.  Apple built the online music market.  Period.

Regardless, your characterizations border on the absurd.  Apple invented a
truly breakthrough product in the iPod.  They then built a music service
that worked seamlessly with it.  People bought music in droves.  That's
called "innovation".

There's no "evil".  There's no "monopoly power" at play.  There's no
wrestling, either.  Apple built superior products and won fair and square.
The complaints about "monopoly" came AFTER they were successful, and they're
still absurd.  DRM wasn't an issue.  The only folks complaining about DRM
are folks like Rhapsody (which has their own DRM that they wouldn't release
the specs for either), Microsoft (do I REALLY have to explain why this is
silly?), and folks like you, Leo.

Leo, this is exactly the kind of statement that gets my fingers itching to
point out your flaws.  It's unreasonable, unfair, shows an ignorance of
history, and is just plain obnoxious.  If you want _anyone_ on this list or
in the real world out there to take you seriously you've got to stop spewing
out hyperbolic crap like this.

If you don't like Apple, don't buy their products, but please stop ranting
on the list about it.  Taking my own advice, I'm going to exit this
particular thread as well.

Jeffrey.

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that