Acer Aspire One

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 22:57:31 CDT 2008

The GNU+Linux 'NetBook' may easily become Linux' home in everyday
consumer electronics.  At least sofar as desktop applications.  The
eeepc started the trend, and now dozens of other vendors are jumping
in.  Intel, AMD, and nVidia even, are making chips just for this
market.  Check out the Intel Atom CPU in it's picture at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Atom.  Wow.

I bought an Acer Aspire One to play with at the LUG and to give to a
family member at Christmas.  It's one of the first Intel Atom Netbooks
out there.  It comes with a distro called Linpus, which is an ofshoot
of Fedora.  I actually plan to, compare it with Ubuntu Netbook
Edition, and the Fedora 10 version of its own packages.  Any thoughts
on what elseyou want to see it do would be welcome.  I just bought it
today, so I will not likely have it by the meeting Wednesday.  But I
should have it the next three meetings after that, and will be using
it myself intermittently.

http://www.acer.com/aspireone/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspire_One