Conversion to Linux

Nathan Cerny ncerny at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 16:47:46 CDT 2008

Right, BSD isn't linux, it's a major distribution of Unix.  Gentoo however,
is linux (It uses a slackware base I believe, but it is influenced heavily
by BSD.  It still runs the linux kernel though!).

However, unless you're interested in learning how everything works together,
or you absolutely HAVE to have every ounce of performance your machine can
push out, I don't see a reason to discuss Gentoo with a *nix newbie.
Likewise, there is absolutely no room in the corporate environment for
Gentoo...it takes too much time to get a stable system running, and the
corporate environment doesn't need what it offers.

Before you flame me, know, I do run Gentoo on one of my servers at home, and
I absolutely love it.  It just isn't suited for the discussion at hand :)

Billy - excellent post!  Thank You!

Nathan