Conversion to Linux

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 13:00:36 CDT 2008

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 7:33 AM, Billy Crook <billycrook at gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael,

> Fedora is published by RedHat, and developed and controlled by a mix
> of RedHat employees, and external community.  It is Free Software, and
> gratis.  Fedora strives to include all the latest technologies and
> software.  It also has a strong focus on only officially supporting
> Free Software.  Things like DVDs, MP3's, and proprietary drivers are
> intentionally excluded from inclusion in official Fedora releases
> because those technologies are encumbered by restrictive patents or
> licenses.  Fedora is released often (every 6 months), and "supported"
> for a relatively short period of time (eleven months from the initial
> release date).  Fedora often retires technologies that didn't get used
> much or weren't as useful as originally hoped, and each release is an
> opportunity to make sweeping changes.

Just a note about Fedora from a proud Fedora user:
If a cool piece of software comes out that is known to eat children
and kittens, and it's FOSS, and finds a maintainer, Fedora will
include it. Somethings in Fedora can be extremely bleeding edge: often
working with things long before they get picked up by Ubuntu and
others.

Contrastingly however, core parts of the distro such as Python and
Gnome are often a lot more conservative.

I will also add though, maintaining your own intermediate repo (which
is essential for a large deployment anyways) will take most/all the
unwanted edge off of Fedora.

I personally suggest using CentOS on the server, and maintain a budget
to hire a consultant/contractor any time something goes above the
heads of your team.

----
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )