Does Linux have a CMOS Setup Application, possibly from a LiveCD?

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 17:51:23 CDT 2008

BIOS serial console access is typically only a feature on server class
motherboard, or provided through "IPMI" cards, which can cost from
$100 to $400, and typically fit into a SODIMM slot that has to be on
the motherboard to begin with.  Software serial console can be enabled
for GRUB, which is technically before the kernel, but it only starts
in grub stage 2, and chances are that you won't get that far if you
have a problem serious enough to need access outside of SSH.

You can find pci cards for under $200 on ebay that allow remote KVM
over http usually with the aid of a java applet.  The PCI card that I
have and have used for this purpose is made by AMI, the BIOS company.