Moratorium on moderation/censorship/general whines.-give it up for lent eh?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 10:39:59 CDT 2008

--- Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> On Saturday 22 March 2008, Philip Dorr wrote:
> > how about this the one true religion based
> > upon Jesus Christ is the one in the bible!
> > not the Catholic church, which did not exist
> > untill around 100 years after the death of
> > Christ
>
> The Church spoken of in the Bible is the one
> and same Catholic Church as today. The laws
> might have changed a bit, but the doctrine
> and spiritual hierarchy is all the same.

I seem to recall from my Bible studies that the Bible
not only allowed, but *insisted on*, the marriage of
elders, deacons, and bishops.  In fact, you were
considered *ineligible* for these church offices until
you were "the husband of one wife".  The Pauline books
that these verses appear in would have been written
down earlier than any of the Gospels, 50-60 C.E. as
opposed to the earliest Gospel dated around 70-84 C.E.

But when I turn to look at the Roman Catholic Church,
*pre-Vatican II*, I see a church which requires a vow
of *celibacy* for all its priests and bishops, and
does not require its priests and bishops to be
married, like the Bible insists should be so.

And so I find it a little hard to believe that the
Church spoken of in the Bible is "the one and same
Catholic Church as today."  Especially as since it
seems obvious that a Vatican II-like conference
resulted in a sharp *change* from the Bible text
requiring priests and bishops to be married.