KDE (was: Ubuntu)

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Fri Mar 21 06:08:12 CDT 2008

On Friday 21 March 2008, Leo Mauler wrote:
> --- Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Instead of one bottom taskbar (in Windows and KDE)
> >
> > This is purely it's default state, so doesn't seem fair to use that as a
> > mark against it.
>
> Kubuntu will both be used most of the time by the same people who use
> Ubuntu, people who won't change from the default, so I think its completely
> fair to use it as a mark against it.

Kubuntu isn't KDE. Nor does Kubuntu use KDE's defaults, IIRC. Mark Kubuntu as
much as you like, but there is absolutely no excuse to mark KDE here.

> > > If KDE does do that behavior then I have another reason to dislike KDE,
> > > though I'm afraid its a bit of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't"
> > > situation for KDE, because the alternative to "application stacking" is
> > > to shorten the application button size until the text is unreadable.
> >
> > Is it still damned if it leaves the choice to the user?
>
> I have the option of converting my gasoline engine in my car to an electric
> engine.  The fact that I don't know how to do it and would have to take
> weeks/months/years to learn means that it really isn't an option.  If one
> has trouble sending an E-mail, I really don't see them being able to take
> advantage of the option to change the desktop.

That's a mark against GNOME. You need to learn internals (gconf/registry) to
make any small change. Unlike GNOME, KDE can be configured in many ways
without the need of being an expert. So the equivalent here is how to turn
your overhead light to always-off instead of automatic.

> Joe Average is just going to screw it up and go back to Windows.

If Joe Average wants something like Windows, then he doesn't *need* to change
anything. Maybe that's the entire purpose of the defaults being what they
are.

> The problem you're having here is that you are thinking Fedora while
> forgetting that we're talking about Ubuntu (note subject line if you don't
> believe me).

No, we're talking about KDE.
Someone just left the subject line alone when they changed topic.