Organization Poll on the KCLUG Forums

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 19:06:33 CDT 2008

Ah, this could explain some of the confusion.  Well, I wouldn't
suggest moderated _posting_.  That only works well on announcement
lists.  Most lists like these simply have people who are designated as
"moderators" that simply remind folks, on or off list that they're out
of bounds.  If someone becomes unmanageable, you remove them.  People
can find ways around that, but it's rare that it needs to get to that
point, anyway.

Usually "moderation" comes from someone of some authority saying on an
out of line thread: "hey guys, this thread is getting out of hand, can
we change the subject?"  On KULUA someone would just post "Hitler" and
usually the invocation of Godwin's Law was sufficient to get the
thread to move on, though in retrospect that wasn't advisable as
there'd be some newbie around that'd get really confused.  :)

Anyhow, I don't think active moderation is needed.  I don't think
special software is needed.  Just appoint some even-tempered person
like Adrian to remind folks when they're being naughty. It's a social
problem, handle it socially.  Hehe leave it up to geeks to try and
find a way to use software to solve it.  ;)

Jeffrey.

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy
from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a