Organization Poll on the KCLUG Forums

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 23:16:19 CDT 2008

Unless I'm missing something it seems that the reason this was brought
up is due to people abusing the mailing list.  The original poster
seemed to be asking for comprehensive leadership to address the issue
of a few people misusing a resource or two.

However, the subsequent talk has been all about forming a corporation
or something.  Seems to me that what's needed is moderation.  That's
pretty easy to do.  Have everyone discuss what is and is not
acceptable to discuss on the mailing list and on IRC.  You'll find
that it's pretty common sense stuff.  Most likely some rules nerd has
already written up a concise list somewhere that you can steal.

Next, tell the two or three list trolls who will immediately complain
and resist to STFU.  I've only been here a few days and I think I can
already spot a couple, so it should be pretty easy to figure out who
has legitimate complaints and who are the jerks that are ruining the
list and/or IRC for the others.  Once the legit issues are worked out
with the concise (concise is very important - KISS) list of standards,
post them on your website and on the list.  Give folks a week.

Identify an even-tempered old man (or lady) on the list who's known to
be a frequent poster but doesn't participate in the stupid offtopic
flamewars.  Ideally he's not one of the people who is really upset
about the off-topic postings and he's known to be reliable.  Make him
the forum or list Nazi (OMG Godwin!).  Give him ban power.  Let him
post friendly reminders in threads that are derailing, and if folks
persist, ban them.  Permanently.  Enjoy your now on-topic list.

Note: use a voting system of some kind if you have multiple
even-tempered old men (or women) who would do well at the job, but
don't get as crazy silly as some of the folks here have suggested.
It's really not that big of a deal who wins or how accurate it is.
The important thing is, and I can't emphasize this enough, SETTING
STANDARDS.  You might have to ban a jerk or two, but once you've done
that the other kids will get in line (or go to the World of Warcraft
forums and misbehave there).

If you want to have an un-ban policy or somesuch, go ahead.  However,
I'd like to point out that acting like a grownup should be a
requirement for joining the list, and if folks cease acting like one
even after being asked nicely I don't see why they should be allowed
to repent and come back.  After all, this isn't the Catholic Church
(<--- deliberate attempt at levity, please don't compare me with
Hitler).

Anyhow, feel free to disregard any of my suggestions if folks actually
do want a more comprehensive organization.  Make sure, though, that
the person(s) wanting this organization aren't wanting it just to have
it or because they think somehow that "more organization = more
better".  KISS baby, KISS.

Jeffrey.

P.S.  Keep in mind that I'm not saying the list has to be a place
where only rainbows and flowers are welcome - folks should be free to
disagree or get critical of one another, as long as it doesn't get too
personal.  But it should be on topics that actually have some
relevance to Linux/Unix/Computers/etc.  Dumbass arguments about
religion should be brutally punished.  Cheers.

P.P.S.  I can't emphasize enough how easy it will be to moderate the
list once you've dealt with the troublemakers and have set standards
(and advertised them).  Once you change the tone, the list will change
and people will go somewhere else for drama.  Moderation will be an
unusual event.

P.P.P.S.  Think very seriously about moderated joining of the list.  I
changed KULUA to that five years ago, and spammers/recruiters/weird
dudes from other countries went away.  Make them answer a rather
simple question, and deny everyone that doesn't give a response that
indicates that they're local and interested in Linux/Unix.

P.P.P.P.S.  I'm in a cheeky mood and apparently prone to lengthy email
- "ban the @#$%ers!" - but apparently got some weird itch to write a
ton of copy.  Sorry!

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy
from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a