Ubuntu

feba thatl febaen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 15:49:32 CDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Ty Unes <riverty at kc.rr.com> wrote:
> Would you agree that when explaining Linux desktops to a newbie, one
>  could say that KDE is more like Windows and Gnome more like Mac?
>

>  Monty J. Harder wrote:
>  >
>  >
>  > On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 8:07 AM, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org
>

> > <mailto:luke at dashjr.org>> wrote:
>  >
>  >     On Thursday 13 March 2008, Leo Mauler wrote:
>  >     > *Default* KDE has:
>  >     >
>  >     > 1) A "Start" menu in the lower left corner, which is
>  >     > very similar to Windows.
>  >
>  >     Hm, I wonder why. Obviously, the left is logical for left-to-right
>  >     languages.
>  >     Which means that even if we assume there are no other reasons for
>  >     top/bottom,
>  >     the choice is between being similar to another common OS and use
>  >     the bottom,
>  >     or using the top just to be not Windows.
>  >     What reasons are there to use the top over the bottom?
>  >
>  >
>  > On my Windows PC for work, I moved the taskbar so it's vertical,
>  > putting the Start button at the top.  This way, if I have windows that
>  > I've moved such that the title bar (the handle you use to move the
>  > thing) is still onscreen, but the bottom/side runs offscreen, it
>  > doesn't cover the Start button or taskbar.
>  >
>  >
>  >     Again, only similar to the extent that is logical.
>  >
>  >
>  > There are 5 places that it's very easy to put your mouse cursor:  The
>  > four corners of the screen, and where it already is.  The four edges
>  > provide more places that are fairly easy to get to, as the Mac's "mile
>  > high menu" attests.  Good GUI design puts the things you want to get
>  > to the most often in the four corners, with the most frequent in the
>  > upper left (right for RTL languages) corner, second in the lower left,
>  > third in the upper right, and fourth in the lower right, and puts
>  > popup dialog boxes wherever your cursor already is, with the cursor
>  > positioned over, the choice that won't break anything if you
>  > accidentally click it.

>  > Kclug mailing list
>  > Kclug at kclug.org
>  >

>  --
>  Ty Unes - UNIX / Linux Administrator
>  Point b Computer Services
>  Email: riverty at kc.rr.com

Honestly, for a linux newbie, I'd avoid comparisons to other software.
It's *like* it, sure, but it *isn't* it, and that needs to be clear.
They shouldn't expect it to be a clone of it, that will work the same
way. They should expect it to be an entirely new thing, that will take
a little bit of getting used to. Somewhat in the same way you wouldn't
tell someone that driving an SUV is like driving a moving van, but
they both use the same basic skills.