Proper tool for the job (WasRe: Catholics are the one true religion?)

James Sissel jimsissel at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 12 13:55:09 CDT 2008

Oren Beck <orenbeck at gmail.com> wrote:

>With due deference to those holding a theological symposium . Perhaps we may spawn a
  >list "filter?" or similar to allow a proper forum for the Judeo-Christian canon dissertations.
  >Yet there IS a matter of what here passes for HERESY! And that being casually voiced by
  >oe who may not have grasped their trifling with the darkness itself.
  >I must warn of a damnable blasphemy and apostate  SIN.
>
>"No matter how "evil" Micro$oft is ... Linux is not the one true OS".
>
>Friends- THERE we see a grave risk of perdition.

  BSD anyone?  Mac OS?  VAX/VMS?  CICS?  VMS?  CP/M for some?  Hell, my old TI calculator had a better OS than anything Micro$oft has pumped out since the DOS days and DOS, for what it did, ran very well.  Don't want Micro$oft?  FreeDOS.

  We as Linux enthusiasts must not get caught in the mind trap of Luke Jr claiming Linux (which distribution/religion, by the way?) is the "one true OS".  Plus, we really need to remember that "Linux" is only the kernel.

  If you cannot discuss the strengths/weaknesses of more than one OS you cannot judge any one as "best".  And it is sad to say, evil Winblows seems to be best (at this moment) for a lot of the mindless masses.  To give evil Micro$oft one tick of credit, it does do relatively easily what a lot of the mindless masses want to do.  It might not be the proper tool for the job but it does get the job done.

  Each case is different and we should strive to be open minded, find and use the proper tool for the job.  Be that Winblows, Linux, DOS, Mac, whatever.  We should also strive to make Linux better and just as easy for the mindless masses to use so we can eliminate Micro$oft.  I've personally found, so far, Ubuntu 7.10 to be the best one currently to do that job.