Catholics are the one true religion? (Was Re: Recycling subject lines saves trees)

James Sissel jimsissel at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 12 12:12:28 CDT 2008

No matter how "evil" Micro$oft is ... Linux is not the one true OS.

  Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

Matt 16:18, Our Lord appoints St. Peter to be the first pope and promises that
that Satan will never at any time prevail over the Church.

  Matthew 16:18 And I say also to thee, That thou art Peter (petros), and upon this rock (petra) I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

  Funny, I don't see the word Pope in there, nor Catholic.

Mark 16:15, Christ gives the Church a mandate to teach the world, and makes
mention of signs to identify His Church (for example, only
Catholics can cast our demons)

  Really?  Only Catholics can do that?  Or maybe a better question should be "Can Catholics really do that?"  What proof do you have that *anybody* can or can't do that?  Or for that matter, what proof do you have demons even exist?

>Acts 2, Christ sends the Holy Ghost to the apostles, making them the Church's
>first Bishops.

  Bishops?  I don't recall seeing that word.

>Acts 15:1, The first council (the Council of Jerusalem) addresses the first
>heresy (Judaizers), and eventually St. Peter uses his papal authority, accepted by all >present, to give a final resolution.

  Papal authority?  Where does it say that?  Or where does it say he's actually got *any* "authority"?

  None of the claims of papal primacy, infallibility, pre-eminence, jurisdiction, etc. have any reliable foundation in the New Testament. Nor were they assumed to be the right of the Roman bishop in the first centuries of the Church. They are later inventions.

  http://jmgainor.homestead.com/files/PU/Scr/mt16.htm

  Besides, all of this is from the New Testiment.  Ask the Jews what they think of the New Testiment.  So unless you have actual proof from God himself all of this is man's faith in what he believes.  So what makes what you believe right and what I believe wrong?  And therefore, what gives anyone the right to force their beliefs on anyone?