Road Runner Nonsense

Julie betelgeuse67stang at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 4 11:43:32 CST 2008

To Hal and any others who haven't been able to replicate this:

  I've had RR service to my home ever since they came to KC and I couldn't replicate "it" either until I had Road Runner reset my modem (a Toshiba PCX2600 that I've had for just about four years now). I'd been having trouble with getting onto and navigating the Net. So I called RR to have them 'ping' my modem to see what the problem was (I've gone through about four modems during my time with RR). They reset it, told me I now have four IPs instead of one...for the exact same price; we'll see when I get my next bill... and that it works fine now, which it does.

  BUT, I _now_ get that advertising page when I run a test to see what I get with a random string. The only way I've found to be able to get to the page to set my "preferences" is through the Slashdot article someone gave here. I opted out of the thing and STILL get the advertising page I had 'supposedly' opted out of. What's up with THAT??? I've saved the changes that I've made but they don't 'take'.

  In addition, IMHO, I don't really have a 'physical' problem with this since I don't usually manually type in a URL and when I do I make double sure it's correct. However, I'm _quite_ disturbed at the Big Brother aspect of this "Nonsense"!!! Are there any other ISPs in the area that have the speed/quality of RR that don't employ such invasive practices. I've just about had my fill of RR and AT&T, both.Time Warner Cable TV is getting ridiculous in their programming, too, but I don't necessarily want to go the satellite route because I don't need to be out on the roof cleaning the thing in snowstorms just so I can get reception. ;)

  Julie @};--

  >>>Hal Wrote:

  "Being a RR customer, I was curious to see this,
but I cannot reproduce it.  What am I doing wrong?

[hald at iolo ~]$ lynx -mime_header http://www.asdfghjklqwertyuiop.com/

Looking up www.asdfghjklqwertyuiop.com
Unable to locate remote host www.asdfghjklqwertyuiop.com.
Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host.

lynx: Can't access startfile http://www.asdfghjklqwertyuiop.com/
[hald at iolo ~]$

Thanks,
--