win95/98/ME and printers. An ethics issue comparable to DRM servers or not?

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 15:50:01 CDT 2008

That is incorrect sir.  As long as the printer speaks either PCL or
PostScript you can print to it, from almost anything.  All networked
printers speak one of those two, and I believe every OS put out since the
mid-90s speaks both PCL and PS, and most networkable printers (stand alone
types) speak Unix lp, which is universally supported.  In this case, it
would be a printer directly attached to a Linux box, which would be able to
support lp, and thus Win98 would just need to select a generic printer
driver and talk to it via that.

The printer-specific drivers are for more advanced functionality, and
fine-tuning.  However if you select "Generic PostScript Printer" or "HP
DeskJet" (which is an example of a generic PCL device, you will most likely
have success.

Jeffrey.

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that