win95/98/ME and printers. An ethics issue comparable to DRM servers or not?

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 20:48:47 CDT 2008

Yes, I agree.

However some people here seem to not get that the point of this thread is
that maintenance of outdated software such as that is clearly understood to
be the responsibility of the individual.  I'm not sure why this is such a
difficult concept for folks to grasp when it comes to commercial software.
I think folks are too busy arguing how they think things _should_ be,
instead of talking about how they _are_.

Well, the reality is that we don't live on Fantasy Island.  We live in a
world where businesses incur expenses supporting products.  If it is
commonplace and customary in a certain industry to discontinue support of
old products, and if customers did not pay for or get guarantees of such
ongoing support, then that's how it is.

If people don't like this, then I suggest that they don't buy commercial
software or products that depend on it and instead use Open Source products,
then they can recompile ancient printer drivers to their heart's desire....
oh wait, this is a Linux mailing list.  Perhaps the folks upset about HP's
decision ought to just run Linux instead?  Or is that too obvious?  :)

Jeffrey.

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that