Simple VPN?

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 14:19:21 CDT 2008

Openvpn is actually detectable apart from regular ssl web servers
because while SSL is always authenticated, the very beginning of the
session is not encrypted, and handshake parameters will reveal the
certificate issuer, and use and such.  If a bad guy tried go mangle
any of it, it would be detected because it's all signed, but it's
clear, and that's how deep packet inspection IDS systems can tell
https apart from ssh on port 443 and openvpn on port 443.  IPSEC for
one purpose though would look identical to IPSEC for any other
purpose.  It also encapsulates layer 4 stuff, so a bad guy can't
manipulate window sizes and send RST packets to DoS your connection.
In this sense, IPSEC would have prevented comcast from attacking their
p2p using customers.

Even sneakier VPN systems include ones that tunnel the data through
ICMP echo and echo reply packets, and ones that tunnel using DNS
queries and responses.  While I've never set either of those up, I
imagine they are quite slow.  I know the former requires some invasive
kernel patch as well.